Sometimes we are called to a different path than we are currently on. Sometimes that calling is hard because it asks you to step away from something you know and have planned out, into an area where you have to search for the next step. It's almost like walking in the dark.
At the beginning of the summer, I expressed a few doubts about whether I should continue pursuing my career in music therapy. However, I brushed them off and figured that it was summer getting in my head. By fall I'd be pumped and ready to dive back into the music world.
However, it was not the case. God used some people to encourage me in rethinking my career choices, and I clearly felt that he was leading me somewhere else.
Why?
Honestly, it all comes down to God's calling in my life. I know that some of my friends will not understand this. Hear me out, please. I realized that my degree was becoming very self-centered. I want more ministry opportunities, be it in my church or other places. I was having to focus so much on myself just to get through the semesters that I struggled to be able to reach out to others. I was so stressed that I spent the last 3 weeks of last semester practically in tears the whole time. Do I really want to spend the next 3 years like that? There is nothing wrong with the career I was pursuing and God can use people in mighty ways through it. But for me, I know he wants me somewhere else. Sometimes we have to take our eyes off of something that is good, because God has something else willed for us.
What now?
Well, I didn't know for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, it was like walking in the dark sometimes. But the more I thought about it the more I decided I definitely want to keep my music as a hobby and worship tool. I wanted to go undeclared and finish up some other classes, but after a talk with an adviser, it was decided it would be better to choose a degree and try it out for a semester. It will be easy to change if I don't like it, and it won't hurt my career. I am excited to explore the opportunities in Communication Studies - Speech Performance this fall.
Sometimes I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. But that's okay, because God has it in his hands and I trust him to lead me where I should go.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment, I'd love to see what you think!