Saturday, October 18, 2014

You Were Not Designed for You

The world focuses so much on making it about you. Social media encourages you to post about YOU. Mass media pushes things to make YOU happier with things that you really don't need. For girls and guys a like, the push to be fit and extremely good looking is high.

I've recently studied a bit about Eve. The Bible never describes her physical beauty. I'm sure she was beyond gorgeous. But, that is not what is important about Eve. I'm glad we don't know how beautiful she was. If we did we would probably be constantly striving to live up to her beauty. When we get caught up with the physical aspect of things, we start missing the point.
What sent me over the edge to start writing about this subject was a sign in the bathroom on the 3rd floor of the classroom center. It was a beautifully handwritten note taped right by the mirror. It had words highlighted. The word, “YOU” was highlighted twice. Altogether the note said “you," 9 times. I’m not bashing on the word “you.” There’s nothing wrong with the word. But in the context of the note, it was all centered around… “You.” As well as how beautiful and wonderful you are. It was a nice thought, and I don’t want to take away from that the fact that maybe someone drew some encouragement from it. But, if you want to believe that the world revolves around you, then walk away and don’t read the rest of this post.

Social media is cool because I get to see picture of cute kids, and hear about exciting events like engagement, weddings, funny stories, etc. from my friends and family spread out throughout the states and countries. That PART of Facebook and other sites is fine. But then, we begin to fall into this trap. Feeling sad and want people to help boost your mood? Complain and watch the people flood your newsfeed with encouragement and “I believe in you, statements." Feeling ugly and want people to tell you, you’re beautiful? Post a picture on Facebook, and people will jump on it to be a good friend and tell you how stunning you are.
Trust me, I’ve fallen into these pits. Usually because I’m throwing a pity party. I’ve had countless struggles with my vanity and sad self longing for attention from others to temporarily help me out of a sad or “I feel ugly” mood. So, I am not writing out of judgement, but rather, out of realization of what’s really going on.
Sharing our lives with each other is one thing, but making life revolve around YOU, is another.

We are designed by God, for God. Some may be repulsed by this, because they don’t understand. Here’s a part of what is not understood:

The Gospel.

We (beginning with Adam and Eve) sinned. We call that the fall. Life is no longer perfect. The punishment for sin is death. Separation from God. After death, this means we live in hell. Literally. There is no way that WE can change this. There is nothing WE can do to somehow get out of this punishment. But God had a plan. He loved us, his creation, so he sent his only Son. Jesus lived on earth like you and me. Except for, not like you and me because he never sinned. But he still experienced life. He experienced temptation, long and exhausting nights, and frustrating people. (and so much more.) But, he did not give in to temptation, and those long and exhausting nights were productive in bring people to God, and guess what? He loved those frustrating people. He was honest with them. He told them about their sin, and how they could be free from it. And then, he died. He was the sacrifice for our sins. His death, took away ours. When Christ calls us to follow after him, we no longer have to worry about death and separation from God. We can be redeemed and forgiven of our sin.

That’s the Gospel.

With the Gospel comes the Great Commission. "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

This is a call, a command to step outside of ourselves and reach out to others and share with them the hope that is within us. (1 Peter 3:15) Life is so much more than just being about you. Life is about living for the glory of God. It's about sharing the gospel in everything you do. No that doesn't mean telling the story of the gospel 24/7. It means that your actions should alert others to what you believe, in a loving manner. It means that as your actions show your love for Christ, people may ask you, "why?" and you should be able to answer them. It also means that you should look for opportunities to share your faith in conversations. It seems like an intimidating task. While some people may be closed off to listening to you, others will be open and you never know what seeds you may plant. Build relationships, share Christ. All for the glory of God.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to see what you think!