I had to write the following essay for one of my classes. At first it was "another" assignment to consume more of my time. But as I started writing, I realized the importance of the assignment and enjoyed writing it. So, I thought I would share it with you!
What Music Means to Me
Music is so complex and so
challenging. I think sometimes that those who do not understand music see it as
an easy way out of a “real” career. But those of us who know the depth of music
understand how emotional, time consuming, and difficult it can be. This is not
meant in a negative sense.
The
emotional aspect of music gives us an outlet. When we are angry, sad, melancholy,
or happy our music will express it. At one point during high school I had one
piece that I learned on the piano that I really liked. I would sit down
probably at least 3 times a day and play it. Each time the piece sounded
different because my emotions were changing. The piece was supposed to imitate
the sounds of a river, but very often it would sound like a very angry river
and at other times it would be a slow and sad sounding river. I believe that
this is a way that I experienced “Music as Sanctuary.”
Music is something worth consuming
your time with. Yes, there has to be a balance in it all. As I study music in
college, not only is music part of my education but it is also worship for me.
I love playing music for the worship service on Sunday mornings, or ending my
practice sessions with a worship song to glorify God. Something that I regret
is not being more devoted to my music in high school. But now as I begin my
journey in Music Therapy, I’m realizing the aspect of “Music as Wisdom.” My
practice sessions and every other aspect of my learning process are for God. I
wish I had realized the wisdom in taking a hold of this thought process when I
was in high school.
So many times when someone hears the
word “difficult,” they hesitate or back away. But for those who decide to push
through the difficulty of a music degree, or even just the process of learning
an instrument, we are able to experience “Music as Determination.” It really is
a beautiful thing when you persevere and conquer a concept of music that you do
not understand. The determination we experience is so rewarding. When we are determined, we push ourselves to
learn better and in the end we become a better person for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment, I'd love to see what you think!