I was challenged to memorize one Bible verse per week recently. I haven't done so well at the one per week part, but I have done some memorization. The first verse that I memorized was Hosea 10:12:
"Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love;
Break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you."
After taking more than one week to memorize that, I decided to begin memorizing Psalm 51, verse by verse. It has been one of my favorite passages for quite some time, so why not have it down by heart? As I began to look at the first verse, I realized it contained the same phrase, "steadfast love."
"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions."
What does it mean to have someone's steadfast love?
Well, this is what Merriam-Webster dictionary defines steadfast as:
1 a : firmly fixed in place : immovable
b : not subject to change
b : not subject to change
Our world is full of people and things that constantly change, which is the opposite of steadfast!
But while everything is changing, we long for something steadfast. We run to things in this world that we think will be steadfast, only to be disappointed. Our friends will not always be there, our jobs may not be reliable, and when we find this all to be true, we are left empty and dissatisfied.
That is when we discover the One who is steadfast. He never changes, He never leaves, He is forever. He is God. God's love for us is steadfast. There will be times when we mess up so big, that our friends may want to turn their backs on us. And we may be deserving of that. But even so, God's love does not change.
Never once, do we ever walk alone:
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment, I'd love to see what you think!