Monday, January 6, 2014

Are You Listening?

I love meeting new people. Making new friends. It is a wonderful thing. Every person has their own unique qualities, quirks, and those little things they do that get on your nerves.

The best part about meeting new people is hearing their story. Why they are where they are at that point in time.

I think one of the most beautiful things on earth is when someone you may not even know well, shares their story. I find that as people share with me, we can usually find a struggle or joyous time in common. I remember at one point in the semester after hearing about someone's journey in life, I walked away feeling enriched.

The more people I meet, the more I learn. Ever since you were born, you've been learning from other people. Your parents, your siblings, your relatives, your friends, your teachers and more. Every person you come in contact with you are learning from. Whether it's just learning a fact about that particular person, you learned something!

I was browsing through Pinterest earlier and ran across this quote:

After reading it, I instantly knew how guilty I am of this.

This makes me sad.

Why?

Two reasons. One of them is selfish. The other is because I have been selfish.

1. Because I would not want to be treated that way.
2. Because I know I have have been selfish so often by letting my own thoughts crowd out the listening space in my brain. (If there is such a thing.)

 Think about how you reply in conversations. Just think for a minute.

Okay, done thinking?

I don't know about you, but most of the replies that come out of my mouth are somehow based about the things I want to talk about, rather than actually being based on the conversation. 

I wonder how many things I have missed learning by not listening.

Guys, gals, ladies and gentlemen. Or, more simply put: y'all. Let's start listening. When we start listening, our replies will be made with understanding.

And to end on a lighter note.. TALKING PEANUTS! (Watch the following video to understand)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to see what you think!